Keeping a Prayer Journal
- Begin with prayer. Ask the Holy Spirit, your Counselor, to open your heart and guide you to the truth.
- Write what is on your heart. Start talking to God and share your joys, victories, desires, frustrations, anger, fears, hurts and heartaches with Him. Record scriptural and spiritual insights, revelations, strengths, weaknesses, your love and praise, goals, prayers, dreams, memories, and special events. See below for journaling prompts.
- Don’t worry about mistakes. Don’t be concerned about spelling, penmanship or content. Thinking too long about what you are going to write may hinder you.
- Listen and record. Record what God impresses on your heart. His voice will always line up with His written Word.
- Date every entry. To help you see the progress you have made, it is important to record the date of each journal entry.
- Use a highlighting pen. Highlight scriptures and words God speaks to your heart, so you can easily locate them in your journal to re-read later. Sometimes God speaks repeatedly trying to get your attention to warn you or prepare you for the future.